Parenting often requires you to run errands with your kids in tow. And while no-one is particularly excited about such excursions, being prepared can make the world of difference – both to your sanity and your child’s happiness!
Hangry kids can be difficult to soothe if you don’t come prepared, which is why I always like to keep a few snacks stashed in my handbag. But sadly for the family car, many of these foods are prone to being crumbled, mushed, dripped and spilled when put in the hands and mouths of little munchers. So to help keep your kids happy and your car clean, we’ve rounded up 9 healthy and non-messy snacks for traveling.
Homemade Granola Bars
Some mums argue that these can be messy and crumbly, but if you make them chewy that prevents the oats and nuts from falling off.
Found in most health food stores, seaweed snacks are a great source of vitamin A, B1, B2 and C for kids. Plus they pack a powerful protein punch and contain a good source of iodine which is essential for growth and development.
Sliced Fresh Fruit and Veg
Clementines, grapes, baby carrots, and apple slices are some of our favourites 🙂
The perfect little protein snack! We like to boil a whole bunch at once and store them in the fridge so that they are ready to go in a second.
TOP TIP: For less mess when traveling, peel the boiled eggs at home.
Raisins, apricots, banana, and cranberries are winners in our car.
TOP TIP: Choose naturally sun-dried options to avoid nasty additives. Or make your own! Instructions here.
Date Energy Balls
A delicious and healthy snack that can be enjoyed by all kids older than 12 months (plus they’re great for tired parents who need a boost too!) We love Annabel Karmel’s recipe which you can find here.
Turn the iPad on (extra points if it’s playing the Meal Monsters video), hand over the popcorn and let your little ones have a mini-movie experience on the go.
Just like popcorn, but the healthier and greener version 🙂
TOP TIP: Pack an empty container or plastic bag for the empty edamame pods.
And a Meal Monster favourite; Cauliflower Fritters!
We’re always trying to encourage kids to eat a healthier, more varied diet and these fritters are the perfect choice. Plus they meet all the travel snack requirements – not super messy, easy to store/carry, pack a good dose of nutrients, and are tempting even for picky eaters.
- 200g cauliflower
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbsp flaxseed mix
- 2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
- 1 organic egg
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 5 spring onions/scallions, finely chopped.
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cut the leaves off the cauliflower and finely chop them and put to one side.
- Put the rest of the cauliflower in a blender and blitz until it’s in rice size bits.
- ransfer to a bowl and cling film it and put it in the microwave for 2 mins.
- In a frying pan, heat some coconut oil. Pan fry the cauliflower leaves, garlic and spring onions.
- Transfer this mixture into a large bowl. Add the cauliflower, parmesan, wheat flour, egg and salt and pepper. Mix this together.
- In the same frying pan, add some more coconut oil and place small spoonfuls of the cauliflower mixture. After a few minutes flip them over. Cook until they are golden on both sides.
- Pack into a cute lunchbox with some edamame or seaweed snacks and hit the road!
So whether you’re running errands in the car or going on vacation via plane, these healthy kid-friendly snacks are easy to make, simple to store, and yummy to eat!
P.S. if you are planning a long road trip or plane journey, a reusable sticker book (like this one) is a wonderful activity and makes a welcome change from screens!